THE OTHELLO CASTLE
The castle, built by the Lusignans in the 14th century, was being used as one of the main entrances to Famagusta. It is surrounded with a deep ditch. Just above the entrance to the castle lies the St. Mark lion in relief, under which the name of captain ‘Nicolo Foscari’ -the captain who restored the tower- and the year ‘1492’ is inscribed. The castle comprises towers and corridors leading to artillery batteries. There is also a refectory, and a dormitory dating back to the Lusignan times. There are cannons, and iron and stone cannon balls belonging to the Spaniards and Ottomans in the castle yard. Part of Shakespeare’s famous tragedy, ‘Othello’ takes place in a harbour town in Cyprus. The main character of the play, Othello, is introduced as an Algerian (Moor). The playwright is thought to have been misled by the name of the governor of the period: Christophora Moro.